> 2013 Conference of the European Regional Assembly: Post-Conference Summary
The IACBE’s European Conference is a Great Success
The 2013 Conference of the IACBE’s European Regional Assembly held in Kyrenia, North Cyprus was very successful. The conference featured an outstanding lineup of speakers and other special social and cutural activities and events, and we received many wonderful comments from our conference attendees.
Faculty of Business and Economics
Girne American University
Girne (Kyrenia), North Cyprus
About the Faculty of Business and Economics at Girne American University
The Faculty of Business and Economics was established in 1985 and currently enrolls approximately 1100 students. As part of Cyprus’ leading international university, which has four campuses on three continents, the students of the Faculty of Business and Economics have opportunities to study in North Cyprus, the UK, the USA, and Singapore. The Faculty of Business and Economics offers a wide range of high-quality bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degree programs and attracts talented students from all around the world.
Leveraging Multiculturalism in Higher Education
24-25 October, 2013
This year’s European Regional Assembly Conference featured an outstanding lineup of speakers, and other special activities and events.
Photos from the 2013 European Regional Assembly Conference have been posted and are now available for viewing:
On Thursday 24 October, the conference was convened with welcoming and opening addresses by:
- Mr. Dennis Gash, President of the IACBE
- Prof. Dr. Ismail Sıla, Dean of the Faculty of Business and Economics at GAU
- Prof. Dr. Yıldırım Öner, Rector of GAU
- Asst. Prof. Asım Vehbi, Vice Chancellor of GAU
- Prof. Dr. Nihat Erdoğmuş, Advisor to the President of the Council of Higher Education of Turkey (YOK)
Following the opening of the conference, remarks on the conference theme were provided by:
- Keynote Speaker: Dr. Erhan Erçin, Prime Minister’s European Union Coordination Office – Reflecting Unity in Diversity in the Case of Cyprus
- Keynote Speaker: Mr. Hilmi Akil, Undersecretary for the Ministry Foreign Affairs
- Keynote Speaker: Prof. Dr. Nihat Erdoğmuş, Advisor to the President of the Council of Higher Education of Turkey (YOK) – Internationalization of the Turkish Higher Education System and Multiculturalism
Afternoon sessions featured the following speakers:
- Prof. Dr. Olgun Çiçek, Vice Rector of GAU – Cross-Cultural Communication in Higher Education
- Mr. Hakan Karahasan, Lecturer in the Faculty of Communications at GAU – Multiculturalism vs. Monoculturalism: The Experience of the Educational System in North Cyprus through History and Geography Textbooks
During the first day of the conference, delegates were also treated to a special modern dance performance by the GAU Stage School Dance Group, a classical guitar recital by Dr. Ahmet Sönmezler, and a viola/piano recital by Sinem Sadrazam and Mine Sadrazam.
Election of New Regional Officers
During the business meeting of the Region 9 Conference, the following new regional officers were elected:
- President: Dr. Brahim Gacem, Geneva Business School (Switzerland)
- Vice President: Dr. Bert Wolfs, SBS Swiss Business School (Switzerland)
- General Secretary/Treasurer: Dr. Sualp Davut, Girne American University (North Cyprus)
2014 European Regional Assembly Conference
During the business meeting of the Region 9 Conference, the delegates voted to convene the 2014 European Regional Assembly Conference in Barcelona, Spain at the campus of Geneva Business School. Please make plans to join us!
Mark Your Calendar
What: 2014 European Regional Assembly Conference
When: Friday-Saturday, 24-25 October, 2014
Where: Geneva Business School, Barcelona Campus, Spain
In addition to sessions on the conference theme, the second day of the conference also featured the following all-day accreditation workshop:
Preparing an Effective Self-Study/Site Visit Preparation
Attendance at a self-study workshop is now a requirement prior to the preparation of a self-study for first-time accreditation or reaffirmation of accreditation. Dennis Gash, President of the IACBE, introduced each of the IACBE’s nine Accreditation Principles and explained step-by-step the ways in which to document compliance with them in the self-study. The workshop provided a full range of examples, and gave each participant the opportunity to ask questions related to the self-study and to receive individual guidance in writing and editing the two volumes of the document. In addition, Mr. Gash identified the key points in preparing a complete and accurate self-study, and pointed out common pitfalls to avoid. The logistics involved with preparing for an efficient site visit were also covered.
For more information about Girne American University, please visit the university's website: